With the progressive growth and prosperity of Hinckley, the demand for admission to Freemasonry grew considerably. Indeed, by the early 1960s the waiting list to get into Knights of Malta Lodge No.50 was eight years! This led to pressure being put on Knights of Malta Lodge by the PGM to establish an additional Lodge in the town. So a Foundation Committee formed from six of the senior Brethren from the ‘Mother’ Lodge, 50, was established during late 1965, resulting in twenty three Brethren agreeing to become Founders, comprising fourteen senior Brethren from 50 plus nine others then working or residing in the Hinckley area.
A Petition was submitted to Grand Lodge and a Warrant for the formation of a new Lodge was received in 1965; and the Consecration took place in 1966. Since then Sparkenhoe has been able to maintain a stable membership of around fifty, sustained by a steady stream of candidates for Initiation. The banner of the Lodge, the “Hill with the Brushwood”, illustrates the source and origin through which the name of the Lodge is derived. The Maltese Cross, taken from the badge of the Knights of Malta Lodge, 50, illustrates the source by which the Sparkenhoe Lodge originates. The red and white Coat of Arms is of Simon de Montfort, Earl of Leicester (1208-65), in right of his honour of Hinckley, and indicates that the name of the Lodge originates back to 1300. At that date it was the name given to a new “Hundred”, an administrative area, established in the County of Leicester.